Thursday, April 22, 2004

Riddle me this, Batman

So I’m looking at the U.S. Box Office Charts for last week. At number 1, the concluding half of Tarantino’s splatter-and-samurai epic Kill Bill. And at number 2 with a bullet, the big-screen outing of Marvel Comics anti-hero The Punisher.

I don’t get it. Why would you release not one but two bloody revenge movies IN THE SAME WEEK! Isn’t that just cannibalising an audience who, in all probability, want to see both movies?

Who schedules these things?? Couldn’t one of them have been held over for another week-end? Or do people walk out of one movie and think, “That was cool! But do you know what? I haven’t seen nearly enough violent retribution or arterial blood sprays for one day. I wonder what else is on?”

See also: Dawn of the Dead and Shaun of the Dead both in cinemas here. When there’s no more room in hell, the dead will fill the multiplex.

No comments: