Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Will Eisner

Will Eisner died yesterday at the age of 87 following quadruple bypass heart surgery.

I cannot possibly convey how incredibly sad I am at hearing this news. Will Eisner was a man for whom the words "legend" and "genius" were not mere hyperbole. He changed the way comics were written, drawn and read, over and over again, and he never, ever stopped innovating.

From the sublime sequential art of A Contract with God, The Dreamer, Invisible People and numerous others, to the sheer glory of The Spirit, Will Eisner was a one-off and a true artist in every sense of the word.

My wife bought me a copy of The Spirit Archives Volume 4 for Christmas. I know what I'm going to be doing this evening.

I cannot recommend the books of Will Eisner highly enough. If you want to learn more, please go, learn and read here.

No comments: