Friday, October 15, 2004

Brain Candy

Paternity leave is now well and truly over, and I am back to the unfettered idiocy that is other people. It’s only been three days and that deeply ingrained boredom and apathy that seeps deep into your bones like a cold snap and infects you on a sub-molecular level is threatening to eat me alive. Less than an hour away from the weekend, and I’ve had almost nothing to do since I came back to work. Just alone in a room full of people, with nothing but my thoughts to keep the taut skein of my sanity from unravelling in a messy pile of irritation. Today’s wayward thoughts include, but are not limited to, these:

When I’m alone in the lift, facing the mirrored wall at the back, I like to shape my left hand into the shape of a gun, push it into the soft, yielding flesh at the base of my chin, and pretend to blow my brains out. Am I alone in this? Surely not.

I really, really want to see Oldboy.

I hope that John Kerry wins the US election, for the sake of America, Iraq, Britain, and the rest of the world that my daughter has to grow up in.

I have a powerful urge to violently void my bowels. I have since about five minutes after I walked out of the front door this morning. It will need to wait until I get home. I don’t go for the whole shitting-in-public thing.

I’ve mentally wrestled with a film review feature article that I’ve been kicking around for over two months, and I've come no closer to cracking it. Curses.

Water really is the best drink ever. And it’s free!

Clock-watching truly does make time move at a glacial pace. Twenty minutes until the weekend…

No comments: