Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Once again it's on

On my new desk, at my new job, in my new office, there is one of those naff, archaic Daily Tear Off Calendars. Every date on the calendar comes complete with a useless factoid about this day in history, and a (supposedly) life-affirming little homily. Now, loath as I am to give credence to such broad, meaningless, hollow platitudes, the one for today has caught my jaded eye. It reads: "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

It's got me thinking. (Dangerous, I know.) When Sucker Punch (and before it, Stray Bullets) began, there was so much to write about, because I had a lot of inspiration. London was my playground, with its eccentric ways, abject stupidity and combative inhabitants. Movies, people, ideas were in bountiful supply, and I love to soak up new shit, and there was always something to spark my imagination and stimulate my itchy keyboard fingers. Blood and bile sprayed freely and often.

I doubt that the Muse visits anyone in Gerrards Cross, though. But I'm starting to sound like a bad workman blaming his tools. It's time to up my game.

This is my tenth working day in this place, and the honeymoon is now over. Not for me, y'understand. For them. Time to smoke some fools with necessary roughness, instead of sitting here imprisoned by collar and tie. I may be here for the forseeable future, but I don't have to do it on their terms.

For people interested in my professional writing (and who know where to find it) expect more and better film reviews and feature articles. It's been a bit slack recently, I know. For afficionados of the Punch, I envy you the enjoyment and wisdom I will bring you. No more will this be just an aimless journal of my daily existence. There will be more focus, more fury and more fire.

This blog entry has been brought to you on a brand new, unused IBM laptop from the Server Room, plugged into an ADSL line to keep it off the corporate network and away from prying eyes. After I'm done, I'll delete all cookies, temporary internet files and the internet history, box it up again and return it to the Server Room. Told you I'm upping my game.

No comments: