Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Writing Bored

There’s an old saying: “Only the boring get bored”. To that I say “BULLSHIT!” Whoever came up with that one is a complete doo-doo head. (Bear with me whilst I try and cut down on the amount of gratuitous swearing in this blog.)

I’m bored, bored, bored and there’s not a damn thing I can do about it. Because I’m stuck in the office marking time, trying to dodge work until the clock strikes five on Friday afternoon, and I can throw of my shackles and make a break for freedom for the very last time. Call me Kunte Kinte.

If I wasn’t stuck here, I could do anything my imagination could conceive of. Instead, this is the third day that I’ve sat here cooling my heels, fighting off deep vein thrombosis by jiggling my legs restlessly, and chewing on my nails to stop me from screaming in frustration. Two more days, two more days, two more days…it’s like a mantra buzzing in the back of my head.

I’ve been struggling to feed my restless mind with something, anything, all week.

I keep visiting all my favourite websites hoping that they’ve updated with something new for me to read. Doing it every five minutes and then wondering why there’s nothing new there.

I’ve entertained myself by trying to think of classic closing lines from movies. The horror, the horror. Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Well, nobody's perfect. Why, she wouldn't even harm a fly. Shut up and deal. That's right. That's right. Attaboy, Clarence.

Wrote a film review. Didn’t take as long as I thought it would, dammit.

Electronically shuffled money from one pile to another to keep my debtors at bay for another month.

Played with my Incredible Hulk action figure. He’s got a hell of a right hook.

Tried to crop image files using shit like Microsoft Paint, before realising that I’ve just wasted about an hour.

Listening to Eric Bogosian’s 1998 album of his stage show Pounding Nails in the Floor with my Forehead. Ironically, it's a recording of his show about frustration. It’s not helping.

Two more days, two more days, two more days…

No comments: